The Agricultural Biotechnology major provides students with a comprehensive understanding of genetics, plant pathology, entomology, organic and biochemistry, crops and soil sciences, horticulture, and micro and cell biology. The program emphasizes the development and application of new technology to ensure a safe and abundant food and fiber supply. Hands-on opportinities for students to partake in research are abundant.
The Science of Plant Life…from Molecule to Market
Employment and Career Possibilities within this major
- Plant Geneticist
- Plant Breeder
- Research/Laboratory Technician
- Plant Pathologist
- Molecular Biologist
- Graduate school, post-graduate studies or advanced degrees
Examples of Required/Preferred Classes for Freshmen
- Crop_Sci/Hort 102: Cultivated Plants
- Soil_Sci 201: Soil: A Living System
- Biology 106: Intro to Organismal
- Chem 106: Princ. Of Chem II
- IPM 201: Intro to Pest Mgmt in Quality Env.
- Math 106: College Algebra AND Math 108: Trigonometry OR Math 140 Calculus for Life Sciences