The Turfgrass Management major is geared toward students interested in pursuing careers as golf course managers, athletic field managers, or personnel managers in those venues. Students will take courses in turf management, turf production, plant pathology, entomology, soil fertility, and plant breeding to learn how to maintain healthy turfgrass systems. Additionally, students gain hands-on experience at the Palouse Ridge Golf Course, a new PGA certified 18-hole championship golfing facility at the Pullman campus.
Work. Play. Grow
Employment and Career Possibilities within this major
- Golf Course Superintendent
- Sports Facility Manager
- Lawn Care Operator/Manager
- Sod Production Manager
- Grounds Maintenance
- Technical Sales Manager
- Director of Irrigation Company
- Consulting Turfgrass Agronomist
Example of Required/Preferred classes for freshman
- Chem 102: Chem Related to Life Sciences
- Biology 107: Intro to Cell Bio OR Biology 120: Intro to Botany
- Crop_Sci/Hort 102: Cultivated Plants
- Soil_Sci 201: Soil: A Living System
- H_D 205: Dev. Effective Com OR Com 102: Com in info. Soc.
Turfgrass Management Advising Sheet
Students talk about the program in turf management at WSU.
Check out this short video to learn what one grad student did with his degree.